[Tutor] i know this should be easy

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Aug 17 16:21:00 CEST 2005

nephish wrote:
> Hey there,
> i have a simple question.
> if something returns a true or false, how do i test for it with an if
> statement?
> i am using pygtk with a toggle button that returns TRUE if checked and
> FALSE if not.
> do i need quotes around the TRUE / FALSE or should i use 1 and 0?
>
> Auto_Tog = self.AutoCheckRaw.get_active()
> if str(AddDay_Tog)== '1':
>     do so and so.

I'm not sure what you mean by TRUE and FALSE but you can most likely just test it directly:

Auto_Tog = self.AutoCheckRaw.get_active()
if AddDay_Tog:
    do so and so.

>From http://docs.python.org/ref/Booleans.html#Booleans

In the context of Boolean operations, and also when expressions are used by control flow statements, the following values are interpreted as false: None, numeric zero of all types, empty sequences (strings, tuples and lists), and empty mappings (dictionaries). All other values are interpreted as true.

So any reasonable values for TRUE and FALSE will work fine.

Kent