[Tutor] distutils?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Aug 10 22:06:58 CEST 2005

Jeff Peery wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering what is the difference between the distutils core
> and py2exe... they look the same to me? thanks.

distutils.core basically installs the .py files needed by an application or library. It can also build extension modules, but it doesn't try to install Python or other libraries you may depend on. It is cross-platform and intended for installation on a system that already has Python and any needed libs.

py2exe bundles up everything needed to run an app, including Python and any referenced libraries. It creates a package that can run on a system without Python installed. Also py2exe is for Windows executables only.

Kent