[Tutor] What's the invalid syntax? Code supplied

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Sat Aug 6 01:40:08 CEST 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Nathan Pinno wrote:

> What's the invalid syntax? Here is the code:

Nathan,

My method when encountering a syntax error like this is to look at the
part of my code that's generating the syntax error, and see what structure
or function it's using.  Then find a program segment that does the
same thing in a working program or tutorial.  Now that I've
written a good number of working programs, I can usually find
working examples in my own programs, but if not, I hit a python
book.

I think you'll find this more efficient than simply posting the error
message and code to the Tutor list and asking for help; save the Tutor
list for the really challenging problems.  You'll find you learn a lot
more by taking a good whack at it yourself, first.

In your case you've already indicated the error is in this code:

> hand = {
>     '0' : ["Ace"]
>     '1' : ["Two"]
>     '2' : ["Three"]
>     '3' : ["Four"]
>     '4' : ["Five"]
>     '5' : ["Six"]
>     '6' : ["Seven"]
>     '7' : ["Eight"]
>     '8' : ["Nine"]
>     '9' : ["Ten"]
>     '10' : ["Jack"]
>     '11' : ["Queen"]
>     '12' : ["King"]
>     }

You're trying to initialize a dictionary.  So go find some examples of
initializing a dictionary that work, compare them to your code, and see if
you can see what's different about your code.

Good luck!