[Tutor] font/text in pygame

Max Noel maxnoel_fr at yahoo.fr
Wed Apr 27 01:17:11 CEST 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 23:57, D. Hartley wrote:

> But in any case, font/text will only take strings - i cant pass in a
> list, or an index to an item in a list (which is, in this case, a
> tuple), and since the items in the list will be changed and updated
> obviously i cant just type in the items as strings myself.
>
> any ideas? does this question even make sense the way it's worded?
> It's a last-ditch effort to get my high score list onto the graphics
> window before i have to abandon it :)

	The idea, of course, is to convert the things you want to display to
strings. You may be interested in the following things:

- the str() function -- converts anything it's passed into a string.
str(1) returns "1". str((2, 3, 4)) returns "(2, 3, 4)".
- Basic string concatenation -- use the + operator. Example: "a" + "b"
returns "ab".
- the string.join method -- joins a list or tuple of strings. Example:
'xx'.join(["foo", "bar", "baz"]) returns "fooxxbarxxbaz".
- string formatting. You ever programmed in C? It's basically the same
thing as printf, only better. Example:
"Hi, my name is %s. I am %s years old. I come from %s." % ("Max", 21,
"France")
returns "Hi, my name is Max. I am 21 years old. I come from France."

	By using some of these (string formatting and str() come to mind), you
should be able to do what you want.

Hope that helps,
-- Max
maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a
perfect, immortal machine?"