[Tutor] design questions: pythonic approach to ostriches

Smith, Jeff jsmith at medplus.com
Mon Apr 25 15:33:00 CEST 2005

This is an excellent observation and points to the real problem with the
original question.  The problem is that the base class has more features
than some of the classes that will be dervied from it which is usually
just plain wrong.

Think about it in the abstract.  The Bird class makes the statement: all
birds fly.  Then you want to turn around and define a Bird that doesn't.
Even doing

def fly:
	pass

makes no sense since what you've really done is to re-defined what 'fly'
means for this bird.  Again in the abstract:  all birds fly and for some
birds that will mean that they don't.

The only sensible solution to this that will cause the least confusion
from a maintenance stanpoint and allow for the largest possible reuse is
multiple inheritance for languages that support it.

Jeff