[Tutor] str.split and quotes

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 04:53:01 CEST 2005

[Tony Meyer]
>> Somewhat ironically, one of the tenets of Python is "there should be one--
>> and preferably only one --obvious way to do it." (type "import this" at an

[Marilyn Davis]
> In this case, there is: regular expressions.  :^)
>
> "Obvious" doesn't mean we can, necessarily, all see it immediately, or
> that even any one of us can see it without study, thought and
> inspiration, but, it means we can all see it once it's pointed out.
>
> Or maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, that's exactly right!  That's what "import this" means when it
says immediately after:

    Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.

I'm not sure even the Dutch understand regexps at first, though.
Sometimes we slightly undersell the true difficulty of things <wink>.