Fwd: [Tutor] Calendar question

Kristian Zoerhoff kristian.zoerhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:33:53 CEST 2005

Forgot to Reply-All. Dagnabbit.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kristian Zoerhoff <kristian.zoerhoff at gmail.com>
Date: Apr 5, 2005 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Calendar question
To: John Carmona <jeannot18 at hotmail.com>

On Apr 5, 2005 3:08 PM, John Carmona <jeannot18 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Kristian you wrote:

> This assumes all input as integers; if you want months entered by
> name, you'll have to write a conversion routine (hint: use a dict).
>
> I have been looking for a while about doing a conversion routine (using a
> dictionary??), are you saying that I should convert a string (January,
> February, etc.) into integers. Could you please give me some light (do not
> write the code please but just point me to the right direction if you can)

Create a dictionary whose keys are month names (lowercase, for
simplicity), and whose values are integers. Get the month name from
the user (don't convert to an int directly this time, but do convert
to lowercase), then use that to get the appropriate integer value from
the dictionary for passing to calendar.prmonth.

It's really more of a lookup than a conversion. There are probably
other ways to do this as well, but this will give you a nice
introduction to using dictionaries in Python.

--
Kristian

kristian.zoerhoff(AT)gmail.com
zoerhoff(AT)freeshell.org