[Tutor] Launching a file browser

Mike Hall michael.hall at critterpixstudios.com
Fri Apr 1 00:14:19 CEST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 12:21 AM, Max Noel wrote:

>> It's been too long since I used Python on MacOSX, but IIRC you can't
>> just run a Python GUI program from the shell. Or something like
>> that...you should ask this one on the python-mac SIG mailing list:
>> http://www.python.org/sigs/pythonmac-sig/
>>
>> Kent
>
> 	You have to launch your script with pythonw, not with python.

I'm unclear on why a command like webbrowser.open() will comfortably
launch your default web browser (in my case Safari), but something as
ubiquitous to an OS as a file browser has special needs to launch.
Perhaps each application has custom written their file browser, and I'm
assuming they are each essentially doing system calls to the same
thing...?

-MH