[Tutor] Advice on storing data

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Sep 28 20:44:52 CEST 2004

nick at javacat.f2s.com wrote:

>Here at work we regularly get in contact with hardware/software suppliers to
>report bugs/problems etc, and the problem and related fix info is kept in a
>book !!
>
>Im thinking of making a software version of this book, so that a user can search
>past problems and see what was done to resolve it.

While, as others have said, you can implement a little database-driven
tracker yourself, it often makes more sense to build on what others have
already done.  You might want to take a look at Roundup (
http://roundup.sourceforge.net ) -- it's designed primarily as a
bug-tracker, but flexible enough to be useful for a much wider range of
things.  It can be used with a variety of backend databases (such as
mysql, sqlite, or bsddb) to more easily fit particular needs, and
includes a web interface and an email interface so it's easy to use.
And it's written in Python. :)  (The most difficult part of customizing
it, IMO, is dealing with the web interface's HTML templating...)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International