[Tutor] Re: Willing to look at code?

Jonathan Hayward jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 22:53:42 CEST 2004

Jonathan Hayward wrote:

> I have a bug that I'm trying to track down and was wondering if
> someone would look at it.
>
> I have a combination search engine/weblog that has working keyword
> searches, and I'm trying to add searches for quotations. What I'm
> trying to do is let the boolean parser know that there's one more
> primitive besides word, 'and', 'or', and 'not': 'quotation', which is
> calculated as follows:
>
> 1: Break the quotation into tokens.
> 2: Calculate a relevance score which is 0 if one or more token is
> absent. (An optimization.)
> 3: If the relevance score is positive, check if the sequence of tokens
> is found in the document.
>
> The matches are the ones which pass steps 2 and 3.
>
> The problem I'm having is that a quotation search matches everything.
>
> Any takers?

As per Danny Yoo's suggestion that I post the source, I've placed a
tarball at http://haywardfamily.org/jonathan/searchlog1_0_1.tar.gz

++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,
** games, and a four-dimensional maze, why not visit my home page?
** All of this is waiting for you at http://JonathansCorner.com