[Tutor] Willing to look at code?

Jonathan Hayward jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 04:29:20 CEST 2004

I have a bug that I'm trying to track down and was wondering if someone
would look at it.

I have a combination search engine/weblog that has working keyword
searches, and I'm trying to add searches for quotations. What I'm trying
to do is let the boolean parser know that there's one more primitive
besides word, 'and', 'or', and 'not': 'quotation', which is calculated
as follows:

1: Break the quotation into tokens.
2: Calculate a relevance score which is 0 if one or more token is
absent. (An optimization.)
3: If the relevance score is positive, check if the sequence of tokens
is found in the document.

The matches are the ones which pass steps 2 and 3.

The problem I'm having is that a quotation search matches everything.

Any takers?

++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,
** games, and a four-dimensional maze, why not visit my home page?
** All of this is waiting for you at http://JonathansCorner.com