[Tutor] What GUI to use with python?

Kent Johnson kent_johnson at skillsoft.com
Wed Sep 15 14:11:59 CEST 2004

Tkinter and wxWidgets/wxPython are the main choices. I haven't done much
with either but my impression is
- Tkinter is easier to get started with as a programmer
- Tkinter comes with Python so there is nothing extra to install
- wxPython has a greater selection of widgets and may be a better choice
for a full-featured application.
- wxPython is harder to program for than Tkinter - there are at least two
GUI toolkits built on top of wxPython aimed at making it easier to use -
Wax and PythonCard.

You can also use Jython and Swing. I have written a few applications this
way, but I think I would make the Jython/Python choice based on other
factors than the GUI toolkit available.

If your needs are very modest (dialog boxes asking the user for various
types of input) then EasyGui may be enough. http://www.ferg.org/easygui/

You might find these pages interesting:
http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/GuiProgramming

BTW do you mean easy to use for the programmer or the user of the program?

Kent