[Tutor] Trapping High-Level Exceptions As Strings

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Mon Sep 13 01:41:15 CEST 2004

* Kent Johnson <kent_johnson at skillsoft.com> [040912 11:21]:
<...> If you want to format the traceback differently, you can use some of the
> other functions in the traceback module, for example the various format
> functions. Take a look at traceback.py to see how print_exc() works and
> make your own version that does what you want.

Thanks Kent:
## the code fragment below is what I'm looking for:
            etype, value, tb = sys.exc_info()
            print "value = " , value
            print "tb = " , tb
            print "etype = " , etype
            print "ERROR LIST = " , traceback.extract_tb(tb)
## shows the following:
value =  integer division or modulo by zero
tb =  <traceback object at 0x40700c34>
etype =  exceptions.ZeroDivisionError
ERROR LIST =  [('./nwmls_cron.py', 98, '?', 'process(args)'),
               ('./nwmls_cron.py', 16, 'process', '1 / 0 # test exception handling and logging')
               ]
cheers!
tim

--