[Tutor] programming theology questions

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Sat Oct 30 18:52:28 CEST 2004

At 10:21 AM 10/30/2004, Rene Lopez wrote:
>How many programming languages can safely fit in your head before you
>get confused, or think it's not worth it?   :-)

My history: machine language (IBM 650, 370) assembler (650, GE415,
Singer10, IBM370) APL, APL2, Basic, Focal, Fortran, Pascal, PLAS, PLX,
PL/I, C and C++, dBase-VisualFoxPro, Python, CMS Exec & Exec2, REXX,
Advanced Revelation R-Basic, Clarion, all versions of MS Word and Excel
macro languages, Access. I started learning J but got lost.... I've studied
but not used ADA, Modula II, Snobol, Cobol, Algol.

Rarely have I been confused. It may take a bit to return to one I haven't
used for a while.

I have also developed my own languages and tools for manipulating languages.

>Is there any programming language blasphemy?  Like learning C++ and
>then VB?  Is that a sin or a exercise in insanity?

Ease in writing and reading is high on my list. Hence I have most enjoyed
APL and Python. I'm still wishing for ways to incorporate some of APL into
Python. As my buddy says "what is the constraint on you project that keeps
you from using Python?"

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625 home