[Tutor] jython vs CPython... what are the differences?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 00:32:21 CEST 2004

> I know that speed is often a difference between the two... but what
> else is different?

Some modules aren't ported because Jython can use Java
equivalents which the Jython team deem to be 'better'...

Some modules are just not ported because nobody got round to
it yet!

Most pure python modules will work, but if they rely on
a native C module which hasn't been ported then you are stuck.

>From my experience about 75-80% of my code works fine, another
10% can be made to work with minor tweaks. But I am very much
a vanilla Python user, YMMV...

The really insanely great thing about Jython is its ability
to mix n match Java objects with Python objects, and even to
prototype new Java classes in Python before converting them
to the much more verbose and demanding Java. Also, for testing
new Java classes at the >>> prompt - fantastic!

Alan g.