[Tutor] recommended IDE for windows?

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Wed Oct 27 17:50:45 CEST 2004

A lot of people like Scite. I fired it up, but haven't played with it much.

I have used Activestate's Komodo. It's not free. The personal edition is
something like $30. The professional edition is around $250-$300. There
are some really neat features like background syntax checking and code
folding.

Another editor/IDE I want to look into is Eclipse. Pydev is a plug-in
for it. I'm kind of in the wait and see mode on this one.

I've said this before..., you might take a look at emacs or vim. They
have a steep learning curve, but they run on multiple platforms, so you
don't have to learn a new editor when you are on Solaris or Linux. The
point of emacs and vim is to keep your hands on the keyboard which
supposedly makes you more productive. I'm digging into vim more and
more. I tried emacs three times, and it didn't click with me. YMMV.
Although vim doesn't have tabs, it has buffers, and you can display a
buffer list. There are plenty of ways to configure emacs and vim do work
mostly the way you want.

I sometimes use JEdit for working on HTML since it does a great job of
auto-completing tags for you. It think it also does syntax highlighting
for Python.

There's a list of editors at the Python web
site.(http://www.python.org/moin/PythonEditors)
You can also search this list for earlier discussions on editors/IDEs.

Mike