[Tutor] Re: Hello from a beginner!

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Tue Oct 19 18:57:01 CEST 2004

> Subject:
> [Tutor] Hello from a beginner!
> From:
> Nicholas.Montpetit at deluxe.com
> Date:
> Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:12:49 -0500
> To:
> tutor at python.org
>
> To:
> tutor at python.org
>

> I'm completely new to this list (and Python) so I just wanted to say
> hello and introduce myself.
>
> I have a lot of experience with Perl, but I've been hearing enough
> good stuff about Python that it seems like I'm overdue time to pick it
> up.  My early readings (from O'Reilly's LEARNING PYTHON) lead me to
> believe that it should be an excellent language for GUI apps,
> scientific computing, and cross-platform apps.  Along with reading the
> O'Reilly book, I hope this list will get me up to speed quickly.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on the MIGRATING FROM PERL TO PYTHON (or
> something like that;  has a snake on the cover) book out there?  I'm
> considering picking that one up.
>
> Thanks, and I look forward to learning Python and participating in
> this list!

Hi Nicholas,

I had some experience with Perl before I found Python. The Perl to
Python Migration book didn't really click with me. What really clicked
with me was Dive Into Python(http://diveintopython.org/). Also, the
tutorial on the Python web site was pretty helpful
too.(http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html). This list is also very helpful.

Mike