[Tutor] Re: OOP books

Lloyd Kvam pythonTutor at venix.com
Sun Oct 10 19:18:52 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 15:17, Chad Crabtree wrote:
> Max Noel wrote:

> >> You know that the VB6 guys think they were programming in OOP!! |;
> )
> >

> >     Yeah, but we're talking about programming languages here. Not
> VB.
>
> Seriously though what is wrong with VB?  It gets things done with
> little
> syntactic overhead, or rather less than C++ or Java.  I feel honestly
>
> it's pretty close to python except for pythons ubiquitous containers.

My VB experience ran from VB3 to VB6.  VB supports an object oriented
notation, but does not allow you to use inheritance in your code.  It
lacks the ability to pass functions as parameters like Python allows.
Also user defined types are second class and are disallowed as
parameters under some circumstances (I do not recall all of the
details).  Verity Stobb has written a critique of VB that Google should
be able to locate.

The ability to combine graphical elements in an easy to use drag and
drop environment is nice.  Unfortunately, I do not think the language is
adequate when you start trying to do more complex programming.  I have
been reasonably happy on Windows using VB to provide a GUI interface to
Python code packaged as a COM object.  However, I expect to use
wxWindows in any future GUI programming - even on Windows.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp