[Tutor] demon / app I/F better way ?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Nov 14 19:00:24 CET 2004

> See the socket module to start, or the socket programming HOW-TO:
> http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/
>
> There are others on this list with more experience than me with
socket
> programming, I hope they will chime in here...personally I like
threads :-)

But if both your processes are on the same machine you can use a pipe
which is even easier than a socket albeit less flexible. But a pipe
just looks like a file you read from - the popenX() family is the
function set to look at.

But your file processing solution is a perfectly valid way of working,
especially for large data volumes. Its how almost every mainframe
application in existence works! The big win is ease of data and/or job
recovery in the event of a crash.

Alan G.