[Tutor] Object Orientation : Class XXX : def __init__

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 18:57:34 CET 2004

Kumar,

I'm not really sure if I understand you, and I haven't seen any
tutorials like the one you're asking for - the only school for that is
experience.

Anyway, about __init__ , you never have to define it as a function. Example:

In [2]: class test:
   ...:     def foo(self): print 'yo'
   ...:

In [3]: t = test()

In [4]: t.foo()
yo

This works as expected. __init__ is a convenience function which
allows you to initialize the variables in your class. It is
automatically called on object instantiation by the Python
interpreter.

Does that make sense?

Peace
Bill Mill