[Tutor] mysql formatting

Rick Pasotto rick at niof.net
Wed Nov 3 22:49:21 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 01:23:05PM -0800, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> >         .execute(operation[,parameters])
> >
> >             Prepare and execute a database operation (query or
> >             command).  Parameters may be provided as sequence or
> >             mapping and will be bound to variables in the operation.
> >             Variables are specified in a database-specific notation
> >             (see the module's paramstyle attribute for details). [5]
>
> Rick!  Where did you get this from?  help(MySQLdb) doesn't tell me
> this.  What's [5]?  What's "paramstyle attribute"?  I'm missing
> something big about documentation, and that's for sure!

<http://python.org/peps/pep-0249.html>

It's not easy to find.

Goto: <http://python.org>
Select: Topic Guides (under 'Documentation Links')
Select: Databases
Select: DB-API spec v2.0

You should probably have documentation (not python's internal help) for
the MySQLdb module somewhere. On my debian linux system it's in:

/usr/share/doc/python-mysqldb/html

Those docs also contain a pointer to the DB-API spec.

--
There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old, and therefore good."
And one says, "This is new, and therefore better."