[Tutor] Does anyone know if IDLE has a maximized setting?

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Mon Nov 1 17:49:27 CET 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:50:29 -0500
"Jacob S." <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:

> Hello again.
>
>     I am using IDLE for editing my scripts and I was wondering if there was
> a way to default the IDLE windows to come up maximized every time. As it is,
> I have to maximize the window every time I right click on a file and click
> edit with IDLE. This gets annoying very quickly. Does anyone know what file
> in the idlelib directory might contain the TK script for the editor and
> shell windows so that I might change that setting myself?

It's in EditorWindow.py, line 79 (at least my version, the line might vary); the magic line is:

    self.top = top = self.Toplevel(root, menu=self.menubar)

this creates the new window.

You can use the Toplevel's  geometry method to do what you want; simply add a line:

    top.geometry('1024x740+0+0')

this will draw a window of 1024 x 740 pixels into the upper left corner of your screen
(the argument passed to geometry() is generally of the form: 'widthxheight+x-offset+y-offset');
If you don't want to deal too much with the secrets of Tkinter it's probably the easiest to
just try the appropriate values you need.

I hope this helps

Michael