[Tutor] IDLE problems, recommend a good IDE ?

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Wed May 26 17:20:15 EDT 2004

* Dave S <pythontut at pusspaws.net> [040526 11:50]:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
>
> >* Dave S <pythontut at pusspaws.net> [040525 01:56]:

> > I use gvim (graphical Vi Much Improved) and vim extensively for
> > python programming. There are extensive python plugins for
> > vim that make it a very nice IDE.
> >
> > You can in fact, compile the python interpreter directly into vim so
> > that you can modify or 'drive' your 'python IDE' using python code.
> >
> That sounds interesting .... I never knew VIM could be configured to
> become more Python friendly .. I

  Oh you can get it as friendly as you want it to!
  http://www.vim.org/
  For python related plugins:
  In case your mail clients wraps:
  Between this line and the asterisks is a one line URL
  http://www.vim.org/scripts/script_search_results.php?keywords=python+&script_type=&order_by=rating&direction=descending&search=search

> thought syntax highlighting was the limit. I have experience of VIM in
> the past but struggled.

  VIM can drive you nuts with the modal editing approach. I recently
  did an LPI cert session on editors and I have a vim "cheat sheet".
  If you're interested email me OTL and I will provide it to you.

   (there are many vim cheat sheets, though)
   - and -
  The vim ML is *very* helpful.

> Where can I find out about this ... VIM site ?

> Never got on with emacs ... its a personal choice thing ...

  I don't blame you, and the online help that I have found for
  either GNU or X emacs is not as good as either this ML or
  the vim one.

> Im also looking at eric3, I was put off by the number of 'gizmos' but
> some of them gizmos seem usefull !
> (Breakpoints & the like)

 I've used pythonwin (windows only) and it has nice, intuitive
 object browser services. I don't know if anyone has done
 any thing so sophisitcated for vim, although it has nice
 taglist features. (X)emacs has an OO-browser plugin that
 will accomodate python, but I haven't used it.

 tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com>