[Tutor] IDLE problems, recommend a good IDE ?

Andrew Fant fant at pobox.com
Wed May 26 12:08:58 EDT 2004

--On Wednesday, May 26, 2004 07:48:32 -0800 Tim Johnson
<tim at johnsons-web.com> wrote:

> * Dave S <pythontut at pusspaws.net> [040525 01:56]:
>> Ive been learning on IDLE, which has been great but I have had
>> occasional stability problems, which are a bit
>> disconcerting. It just locked up X on my gentoo system :-(  Anyhow Im
>> back now -

Dave:
    Good to see more gentoo-types coming out of the woodwork.  I'd check my
optimizations settings in make.conf and steer away from excessive compiler
flags, just as generic advice.  If you are depending on -f flags instead of
the -O and -march/-mcpu options, wierd things can happen.

As far as IDEs go, I never got into idle myself.  boa-constructor is in
portage, but it is a rather heavyweight tool for developing larger apps
(particularly gui tools with WxPython).  I've played with it a little, but
it is almost certainly overkill for those of us, including myself, who are
still learning.  I'm doing all my coding lately in Komodo.  It's not free,
but Activestate sells the educational/hobbiest version for about 30
dollars.  The key bindings are a little annoying, and I am working on
setting them to be more emacsish, but aside from that, it works very
nicely.  It also has a nice graphical source debugger built in which has
saved my rear several times lately.  If you use komodo as a professional
developer, you are supposed to by their pro version which is more
expensive, but also includes a graphical gui builder and support for tcl/tk
(the educational version supports perl, python, and php fully, with syntax
highlighting for many other languages).  Installation went fine on my
gentoo systems, and it hasn't had caused me any problems yet.

Andy