[Tutor] Accessing class instances [Party people]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 18 00:41:30 EST 2004

> But if a person just needs to remember one person, we can just say:
>
> ###
> ...     def __init__(self, name):
> ...         self.name = name
> ...         self.friend = None
> ...     def meet(self, other):
> ...         self.friend = other
> ...     def greet(self):
> ...         if self.friend:
> ...             print "I", self.name, "greet you,", self.friend.name
> ...         else:
> ...             print "but I don't have any friends.  Waaa."
> But I Dan don't have any friends.  Waaa.
        ^^^^

Argh.  The last example was a bad case of cut-and-paste; the method as
written above won't produce that output.  Let me try that again.

###
>>> class SolitaryPerson:
...    def __init__(self, name):
...        self.name = name
...        self.friend = None
...    def meet(self, other):
...        self.friend = other
...    def greet(self):
...        if self.friend:
...            print "I", self.name, "greet you,", self.friend.name
...        else:
...            print "but I", self.name, "don't have any friends.  Waaa."
>>> d = SolitaryPerson("Dan")
>>> d.greet()
but I Dan don't have any friends.  Waaa.
>>> d.meet(a)
>>> d.meet(b); d.meet(c) ; d.meet(d)
>>> d.greet()
I Dan greet you, Dan
###

Better, yet sad in a kind of pathetic way.  *grin*

My apologies!