[Tutor] Re: Ideas for beginning programs? [uselesspython.com / Sphere Online Judge]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 30 22:52:09 CEST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, mjekl wrote:

> 3 - Write a program that gives asks you for temperature and the scale
> (Celcius / Farenheit) and then gives you the corresponding temperatures
> in (Farenheit / Celcius).
>
> 4 - Make a phone book using nested lists (or list and tuples)! Use a
> menu to search a phone number by name or vice-versa
>
> 5 - Make a phone book using a simple list! Use a menu to search a phone
> number by name or vice-versa
>
> *Compare these phonebooks with a phonebook made with a dictionary* *Make
> a version of Guesser using OOP*

Hi Bryan,

You might also find Useless Python useful here:

    http://uselesspython.com/programmingcontests.html

Rob has accumulated a lot of good projects that an aspiring programmer can
sink their teeth into.  (I need to find time to help Rob revive Useless
Python... Not enough hours in a day... *sigh*)

Wasn't there also a notice on Tutor a while back about an "online judge"
contest?  Let me check...  Ah!  Ok, Tomasz Noin'ski sent an announment
about the Sphere Online Judge (SPOJ) a few weeks ago:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2004-July/030460.html

The website for SPOJ is:

    http://spoj.sphere.pl/

Some of the problems are ridiculously doable:

    http://spoj.sphere.pl/?a=problem&pcode=TEST

but others are more profound:

    http://spoj.sphere.pl/?a=problem&pcode=JASIEK

So the problems from the Sphere Online Judge may be very helpful to learn
how to apply Python to something fun and challenging.

Good luck to you!