[Tutor] Cut, Copy, and Paste in Tkinter

Marv Boyes marvboyes at att.net
Thu Jul 8 05:06:30 CEST 2004

Hello, all. I'm trying to get a Paste function to work in a little
Tkinter notepad-type application I'm working on (I hate Linux's Knotes
and want to replace it on my machine). I've been using Martin Ultima's
PyWord for inspiration and guidance, and I've had success adapting the
Cut and Copy routines he used, but for some reason I can't manage a Paste.

Here's what I have to define cut and copy (where "text" is the name of
my text widget); these are working for me:

def cut_text(text):
	try:
		text._clipboard = text.get("sel.first", "sel,last")
		text.delete("sel.first", "sel.last")
	except:
		pass

def copy_text(text):
	try:
		text = text.get("sel.first", "sel.last")
	except:
		pass

[I don't know whether or not it's pertinent, but text cut and/or copied
from my application successfully pastes into other applications.]

I'm not getting anywhere with paste, no matter what I try. I've tried
more-or-less copying (in spirit, adapted for my purpose) the PyWord
paste routine, but that doesn't even work. I've made sure that my
keybindings are correct. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance,

Marv
Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's
leisure time to Folding at Home.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/