[Tutor] global variables and getting/setting control values/variables between frames??

Jeff Peery jeffpeery at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 20:38:52 CEST 2004

Hello, I have an application I am writing with wxpython and the boa constructor.  I am unsure how to "talk between frames and dialogs". Global variables don't seem to be passed into child dialog and other frames from the parent frame, and I am unsure as to how to get a value from a control in the parent dialog from the child dialog.  for example I use the following line to get the value from a text field:

myValue = self.textCtrl2.GetValue()

but what if the above line is in a different dialog or frame than the text field? how do I reference that frame and control box?

thanks!

Jeff

"python at kc.rr.com" <python at kc.rr.com> wrote:
Jeff, it's out there, just have to dig a bit...

Py2exe
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

cx-freeze
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cx-freeze/

Gordon McMillan wrote "installer" for python. unfortunately, his page
is no more, but I found one link with the windows checkout...
http://paulbaranowski.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=76

good luck, hope it helps!

On Jul 6, 2004, at 1:06 AM, orbitz wrote:

> Currently there is no real means of hiding your source from those who
> have your compiled python applications. It is fairly trivial to go
> from byte code -> .py. You can bundle your application though, which
> will include an interpreter and all of the modules required to use it,
> that way they don't need to download everything.
>
> Jeff Peery wrote:
>
>> hello, does anyone know if you can do something to the effect of
>> compiling python so that it will act as a stand alone application -
>> ie., can I write an application in python, create a wxpython
>> interface and distribute it to my customers without them having to
>> install python or anything else but my application? thanks.
>> Jeff

Weinberg's Law:

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization"

Tutor maillist - Tutor at python.org