[Tutor] Rounding to n significant digits?

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Mon Jul 5 00:10:50 CEST 2004

Hello Dragonfirebane!

You have to start the code from the commandline:

Do you run windows?
- Open a MSDOS-Window
- go to the directory, where the program, say: contest.py, is
located
- be sure that Python is in your path

then write something like:

C:\mycode> python contest.py 1526985643

and you will get the output. The integer
1526985643 (or any other one) is the input
to the program and (automatically) stored in sys.argv[1]

(I think argv stands for argument-vector)

C:\mycode> c:\python23\python.exe contest.py 1526985643

If python isn't on your path you have to write something like:

Alternately you can use the Pythonwin IDE, where you can input
arguments to a program in a special dialog when you run it.

If all this doesn't work for you, last resort is to
replace sys.argv[1] directly by the input-string:

for c in "1526985643":

HTH, Gregor