[Tutor] When was interned strings dropped (and why)?

hcohen2 hcohen2 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 14:54:08 EST 2004

As you have heard from me too many times: I am using ver. 2.2.2 and
everytime I id the identical string it has a new location.

It was there in version 2.0.  Supposedly it had an advantage in
performance, which should not be the primary reason for its inclusion.

What were its drawbacks, for it has obviously been dropped.

I am guessing, but doing a quick search it seems that making the
formally built-in types objects that are subclassable sort of broken the
single location for these base type objects.  When it is assigned to a
variable (instance) it remains at that location.

Am I on the right track?