[Tutor] file i.o

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 25 16:30:43 EST 2004

> It's the exact same issue in Python.  The cosmetic difference here is
> that the Perl folks define @EXPORT/@EXPORT_OK arrays, and the Python
> folks use the 'from module import */import' statements.

Hi everyone,

My apologies: the parallelism in the original statement was wrong. I
wasn't as careful as I should have been when I wrote that.  I should have
said:

   It's the exact same issue in Python.  The cosmetic difference here is
   that the Perl folks use different forms of the 'use' statement, and the
   Python folks use the 'import/from module import *' statements.

If I had wanted to form a parallel for @EXPORT/@EXPORT_OK, I should have
continued:

Perl's @EXPORT arrays have a counterpart in Python's '__all__' list:

http://www.python.org/doc/tut/node8.html#SECTION008410000000000000000

But unlike Perl, Python doesn't pulls all of __all__ into the current
namespace unless we use the 'from foo import *' form.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion!