[Tutor] Help - Where and when to use OOP

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 13:50:25 EST 2004

> > I am doing a blood transfution management system. I
> > think my project is a moderate sized one.It contains
> > mostly AI modules (coded using FLEX).
> >
> > What do you think the applicability of OOP for such
> > kind of a project?

Sounds like an ideal candidate for an OOP approach. There
are lots of objects involved - patients, transfusions,
units, appointments, tasks, all sorts...

> > I have another question : If I want to design our
> > project using UML is it a must to use a OOP approach

No UML sits above OOP. Although it originated in the OO
community it can be used for non OO approaches or even
projects where no software is involved at all.

> > Usecases for a project that I dont use OOP concepts
> > for coding ?

Absolutely, Usecases do not even have a strong link to UML!

Alan G.