[Tutor] Reading directory

arkamir at softhome.net arkamir at softhome.net
Wed Jan 21 17:28:15 EST 2004

My question is sorta difficult to explain so bear with me. I need to read a
directory and select distinct files which are distinct before a certain
point. Similiar to SQL select distinct. So if i had a directory filled with:

family_01.jpg
family_02.jpg
family_03.jpg
family_03.jpg

test_01.jpg
test_02.jpg

It would optimilly select just.
family
test

Or the whole file name and then filter everything past the _.
I hope I explained this clearly enough. I need this because I'm making an
online photo album for my family and want to minimize recoding html by
having the links to each section dynamincally generated. I am using Linux.

Thanks a lot!!!