[Tutor] memory problem (II part)

Guillermo Fernandez Castellanos guillermo.fernandez at epfl.ch
Fri Jan 16 06:14:56 EST 2004

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

>Just checking up on this: when does memory usage shoot up?  Do you know if
>it's when you're querying the database?  If so, then we can concentrate on
>how the database is being queried.

I made further tests with a machine (Linux) with much more RAM that mine
(Windows) at home (1024 oposie to 256 :-)
I realized that the RAM exploses when I start query. If there is a query
with little results (only some of the fields of the database), I'll have
a short increment. If it's a query with larger results (all the fields
of the table), it will go to a maximum of RAM use, and stabilize there,
even if I do further queries.
If I close the database without closing the program, and prior of
opening another database, the RAM gets lower again.
This seems to point the problem to the syslogdb module.
I start the database like this:

    global database
    global cursor
    database=db.connect(databasename)
    cursor=database.cursor()

Could the problem come from the cursor or database variable?

Thanks a lot!

Guille