[Tutor] Starting a basic RS232 application?

Todd G. Gardner piir at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 22:10:56 EST 2004

Hello all,

I would appreciate your experience in determining the best way to learn how
to write a basic serial (RS232) software package.

I will need to do serial communication between one Windows pc and a custom
device around Feb. 2nd.  I currently do not have this device nor can I find
out the protocol to talk to this device until Feb. 2nd.

In asking myself, what is the best way to learn how to write a simple RS232
communication software I was thinking of using pyserial and writing a
laplink type of software.  I was thinking that this would teach me how to
write serial communication software in python23 to simply transfer data
between two local Windows pcs.

Thank you,

Todd