[Tutor] Why should I use Python??

Jim Boone jboone01 at bcuc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 10:40:12 EST 2004

Umesh C Joshi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am reading the mailing list from last one month. I found lot of
> subscribers are starter. I am doing internet programming from last 5
> years. I have a good experience using PHP. Whenever I got a mail from
> this list a question arises in my mind. Do I need to learn python.
> Where It could be more profitable in my career.
>
> 1. is python a better language to use in web development than  PHP?
> 2. Apart form web programming, where do I use  python and HOW?
>
> I am really interested to explore python more.

I wrote a command line app to take a csv file of users and crank out an
ldif with all the relevant context and grouping info to import users
into novells nds, its 200 lines of fast portable code that replaces a
slow labour intensive database query system.  Dunno how useful it is for
web stuff, but if you want to knock a little program for reg-ex stuff
its great!