[Tutor] Python vs. C

Peter Jakubowicz beyondthezero at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 6 23:55:06 EST 2004

Hi,

I was talking with a friend who works as a programmer, and I mentioned that
I was interested in learning C because it was faster than Python. And he
asked me why it was faster; and I said because it's compiled and Python's
interpreted; but he pressed me and I couldn't really say why C's being
compiled makes it faster. And my friend left me to wonder about this: why
is it faster? Intuitively, it makes sense to me that a language like
assembly would be faster because I believe you can manipulate the chipset
or whatever directly. Is that why C is faster, too? I am wondering about
this because my Python programs are getting bigger, and occasionally I
wonder if I want to learn C too. Plus, I've gotten to like programming
enough that I learning another language would be fun. Or maybe I should
just work on making my Python code more efficient or whatever? Anyway, if
anyone knows the specific details of why C is faster or can point me to
somewhere I can read about it I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Peter