[Tutor] Reading garbage from serial port

helena bhaska helena_b2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 21:21:07 EST 2004

Hi,
I have a strange problem with reading data from a
serial port - I use pyserial package, here's the code:

ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyS0', 57600, timeout=None)
while 1:
    x=ser.inWaiting()
    if x!=0:
        print x
        buffer = ser.read(x)

ser.close()
If the device connected to my computer through the
serial port sends a bunch of data for some time, my
program thinks there is always data on the serial
port, even long after the device stops sending data -
it prints the same number for x (amount of data on the
port) continuously.  I thought that reading data from
the serial port should clear it from the serial port,
but it seems like there is some garbage sitting there
all the time - how do I get rid of it? I've tried
flushing, but that does not fix the problem.
Thanks!