[Tutor] Re: Maths (slightly OT)

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 21:28:24 EST 2004

>My Son has challenged me to name a few careers that would use Maths
>exponents and all the calculations in them as a way of getting out of
>learning them. Obviously, programming and basically anything to do with
>Computers is foremost in the answer, but I was hoping that you studious
>types would be able to supply me with more than the obvious answer.
>
>Hoping to hear from all the career people that can use Mathematical
>Calculations on a regular basis.

Pretty much any business...

Think about the people sitting around a boardroom table looking at
a bunch of "charts". Presumably those charts were created by plotting
numbers and applying different statistical methods to try to make out
what the charts "mean".

They say that something like 90% of all new businesses fail. My feeling
is that many of them fail not because their owners are not good at
what they do, but because they do not have a good handle on the
numbers --- ie. "am I able to make a profit?"

Exponents are particularly import to business people because of
compound interest and the way you can make a serious fortune
by investing your money wisely.