[Tutor] Capturing Logfile data in Windows

Guillermo Fernandez Castellanos guillermo.fernandez.castellanos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 03:23:21 CET 2004

Hi,

If you want an easy way of iterating over stdin, you may be interested
in using this module:
http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/lib/module-fileinput.html

I've used it with some of my scripts to do something similar.

It will not work for a growing file though...

Otherwise, you can always try something like this (I also use this method):
import sys

 if a_file_has_been_passed_as_an_argument :
        myinput=file(os.path.expanduser(args[0]),'r')
    elif otherwise:
        myinput=sys.stdin

# I have to admit I did not know how to code the EOF, so I used the
# 'while line != ""' instead of 'while not EOF'
line="a"
while line!="":
    line = myinput.readline()
    print line[:-1]