[Tutor] CGI Video collection application File I/O troubles

Guybrush Threepwood domain.admin at online.ie
Thu Dec 9 13:39:17 CET 2004

Quoting Chad Crabtree <flaxeater at yahoo.com>:

> Olli Rajala wrote:
>

> >>Ok. I tried running the script on my Apache server on Windows NT
> and IT
> >>WORKS!!!! The script saves the values of videodb keys correctly.
> DARN!!!
> >>I don't get it. Why does the exact same script work on Win and not
> on Linux.
> >>
> >>Oh, did I mention I am developing the application on Linux. And now
> I tried
> >>it on Win XP with Apache and it works. On Linux I have httpd too.
> >>

> >Have you triplechecked that you really can write to the file. I
> don't
> >know how python would react, if you can't write to the file (raise
> >IOError perhaps) but it doesn't cost you anything to check that...
> :)
> >
> >Yours,

Sorry for the delay but I was busy with soemthing else.
The script prints the values of the variables fine in the
browser so there must be a problem with the file writing part.
When I run the script from my bash shell it creates the videodb
database file, but when I run it from the browser it doesn't
create no file whatsoever.
At first I ran the script as a regular user and then I tried
as root, I don't understand how the scripts writes the file
from the shell when I am root but produces no output when
I run it from the browser(as root also).

--
The lady on the call box in Monkey Island 2
Guybrush: I'm lost in the Inky Island Jungle in Monkey 2