[Tutor] How to select particular lines from a text

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 00:38:54 CET 2004

>  This is continuation to my previous email with
> sugject line "Python regular expression".  My text
> file although, looks like .ini file, but it is not. It
> is a chip definition file from Gene chip.  it is a
> huge file with over 340,000 lines.

Thats big but by no means outragous, I have processed files with
over 1 millionlines before. And they were much more complex format
too - over 10 fields in a pseudo CSV format.

It took a few minutes but not not hours.

Try it, if there's a real problem think about fixing it. But it
may just work... On a modern PC you will probably even have enough
RAM to get it all into memory - less than 30M I'd guess!

Alan G.