[Tutor] What does parent=0 mean?

Kent Johnson kent_johnson at skillsoft.com
Tue Aug 24 21:16:48 CEST 2004

A function or method definition can have optional arguments. These are
function arguments that may be omitted by the caller. If they are omitted,
they take on a default value given in the function definition. So
   def __init__(self, parent=0):
defines a function called __init__ that has one required argument (self)
and one optional argument (parent) whose default value is 0.

In this particular case, the default argument of 0 is interpreted to mean,
"use the root window".

This page in the Python tutorial has more information about default
arguments: http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html#SECTION006710000000000000000

Kent