[Tutor] os.system() start an application / program

Miguel Lopes mjekl at iol.pt
Thu Apr 1 13:21:10 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm experimenting with os.system() to start another application in my pc.
I have no problems with the following statement:

    os.system("start C:\\MyDb1.mdb")

A command box appears/ desappears and Access starts running.

***

On the other hand the following statement doesn't work:

    os.system("start C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplorer.exe")

I'm as sure as I can be that this as something to do with either long file
names or spaces in the dos command.
If this is true this is not really a Python problem, but still is something
probably alot of people encounter, so ther is probably a fast answer to my
hair pulling problem :-)

I'm running Python2.3 on MSW98 2nd.

Txs,
Miguel