[Tutor] Python suddenly finding ".DS_Store" files in folder

Chris Lott chris at chrislott.org
Thu Apr 8 20:59:29 EDT 2004

Alan Gauld wrote:

> Nope, nor do Microsoft tell you about all the crud they write to
> the registry or about the "hidden" files they use in the C:\ root
> directory. Every OS uses hidden or special files to do its job,
> provided the ordinary user doesn't uncover the gory details thats
> fine.

True enough, but there isn't a hidden file for EVERY file and/or
directory in these other cases, whereas all the ._* and .DS_Store (for
that matter, why can't it all be stored in .DS_Store and get rid of the
._* files), one of the former per file and one of the latter in
seemingly every directory gets pretty annoying.

>>I think I might want to take another look at Yellow Dog Linux...
>

> What makes you think it would be any different? listdir will still
> show hidden files there too, its not the OS its the way the function
> is defined to work.

I'm surprised that the .DS_Store file is even needed on the the Mac OS--
why not have this all packed away in the resource fork somehow?

The real problem I have are OSs that are not smart enough to get rid of
unnecessary items when transferring to different filesystems...

Chris Lott (chris at chrislott.org)
http://www.chrislott.org/

"May my silences become more accurate" --Theodore Roethke