[Tutor] simple MS office addins, spambayes style

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 12:05:27 EDT 2003

I'm interested in bundling python code into office addins. I want to get
rid of VBA for various object-model manipulation functions that I write to
automate end-user tasks.

The Spambayes Outlook plugin is extremely impressive and I would like to
emulate it, but its getting a bit daunting to factor out the minumum code
necessary for a non-graphical user function library.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/spambayes/spambayes/Outlook2000/addin.py

Does anyone have any 'hello world' office addin samples along these lines?
I'm just looking to import the host object model, then expose a few
functions to the 'run macros' interface, or something equivalent.

I'd like to generalize the addin boilerplate code across other office Apps
supporting addins if I can, so I want to start with the simplest possible
python code and work my way up.

Thanks.