[Tutor] Multiple exits in a function...

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 17:19:10 EDT 2003

> I really don't see what's wrong with multiple returns,
> especially in a simple function like this.

YOu have actually just hit on a very important point.
Where the functions are short and only have a few levels
of nesting - as is usually the case in languages like
Python - the whole issue of comprehension and levels
of reading are much less important.

In more traditional 3rd generation languages like C
or Pascal it was quite common for *functions* to
be 50-100 lines long with up to 7 or more levels of
indentation/nesting. In that type of environment
the ability to stop reading after more than 2 levels
of indent and still make sense of the code was
very important.

When the whole *program* is only 100 lines then the
issue is much less serious. But then again the whole
need for structure is much less serious!

Alan G.