[Tutor] Image Viewer

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 18:11:14 EST 2003

> I need to create an image viewer(fcheck like, which makes slide
show).
> Is Python the right tool for this. I want to make a very very
small
> application just for seeing images, slide-show. How hard to
create this
> apps with Python ? Which path i must follow :) Thank you

Very easy in Tkinter. (I suspect about as easy in wxPython,
but I know it less well). Just create a widget that can accept
Image objects. (Canvas or Text widgets say)

For each image file (bmp, jpg or GIF) you want to display create
an Image object and insert it into the widget.
(Removing the previous entry first!)

Put some navigation controls on the app for first,next, previous,
last etc, maybe a browse button. That should do the trick.

Quite a nice first GUI project in fact.

If you want to do more sophisticated manipulation or display
other formats check out either PIL or pyMagick(?) (an interface
to ImageMagick)

My tutor has a very short intro to Tkinter (GUI programming)
that would be enough for this project I suspect.

Alan G