[Tutor] Re: How to "install" new package?

Branimir Petrovic BranimirP at cpas.com
Fri Nov 14 18:56:19 EST 2003

Andrei, thanks for your reply. That's how I too understood package
business - extract it anywhere then let distutils do its job and
migrate whatever it needs to wherever appropriate. Unfortunately
it does not work like that for me. My fear is that the problem
has to do with where I've installed Python - instead in default
C:\Python23 I installed it in C:\Py232.

Now that you confirmed that my initial understanding of package
installs was on the right track, I might explore what happens
if I start from scratch and let Python install itself where
it wants.

> <snip>
> > file cx_ImportData.py (for module cx_ImportData) not found
> > error: package directory 'cx_OracleObject' does not exist
>
> Do you have anything with this name? Perhaps the package was
> incomplete or
> something.

No, I do not have anything with this name. What I do have is
Anthony Tuininga's package called cx_Oracle that comes wrapped
in Windows Installer and does install itself nicely and without
problems (regardless of my questionable choice of installing
Python into Py232 folder). I was trying to see what can
I make of packages Anthony kindly open-sourced and shared
(http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/), so I've got his
cx_OracleDBATools and cx_OracleTools  both having goodies
I'd very much like to play with, but none of which I can
install.

If extract package to temp folder then passing package's
setup.py with install switch to python.exe does not do
the trick, may be there is something in Python's disutils
that breaks if the beast (Python) is to be found in
unexpected place?

Branimir