[Tutor] about nltk

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed May 28 13:11:49 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Abdirizak abdi wrote:

> Hi,
>  I was trying to play with python NLTK text classification tutorial , I
> can not run the following code even if the way I installed NLTK is
> correct, I cann't run the followingcode:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'LabeledText'

Hi Abdirizak,

This is odd!  This works for me:

###
>>> import nltk.classifier
>>> dir(nltk.classifier)
['ClassifierI', 'ClassifierTrainerI', 'ConfusionMatrix', 'LabeledText',
 'Numeric', 'Token', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__',
 '__path__', 'accuracy', 'find_labels', 'label_tokens', 'log_likelihood',
 'math']
>>> nltk.classifier.LabeledText
<class nltk.classifier.LabeledText at 0x8179b64>
>>> nltk.classifier.LabeledText('text', 'q')
'text'/'q'
###

Just to check: what directory are you in when you tried to test your
example?  What happens if you try:

###
import nltk
print nltk.__file__
###

Show us what the above prints out; it may clue us into why the import
isn't working.  If your current directory is the nltk installation
directory, that can cause a problem, because the files in the current
directory may confuse Python's module system.